Wednesday, September 24, 2014

It's Hard to Imagine

I am not sure what your childhood was like, but mine was wonderful!  I have many incredible memories and love to think back on that time in my life.  I am starting to realize that not every little girl had a wonderful childhood.  It is a difficult thing for me to grasp.

I am dealing right now with a girl who suffers from pretty severe depression.  She doesn't look fondly on her childhood.  In fact, it is excruciatingly painful for her to think back on that season of her life and she struggles a whole lot in her present life because of her past.  I try to listen and show that I care.  I try to offer hope and love.  It does not seem to be sinking in for this girl.

She has had a counselor since she first moved into our home and I have called on this counselor to help on many occasions.  I have to admit that I told her that I just can't grasp what she is going through and I don't feel like I can help much.  She asked me if I remember the time in 2nd grade when my teacher said something hurtful to me.  I told her that I do.  You see, when I was in the 2nd grade, I asked my teacher a question and she said, "Your mother sure did raise a stupid daughter.".  Needless to say, I went home that day and went straight to my room.  My mom came and asked what was wrong and I told her what happened at school.  Oh my goodness, she hit the roof!!  She couldn't believe a teacher had said that to me.  After a couple of days of meetings with my parents and the principal, the teacher apologized to me and then spent the rest of the year trying to make up for what had come out of her mouth.  We actually became pretty close (for a teacher and elementary student) and kept in touch for a while after she left the school.  But, I can remember the details of that day like it was yesterday.  This was one comment that was said to me by a teacher that hurt me and has stuck with me.  Anyway, this counselor and dear friend told me to think about the impact that one statement has had on my life.  Then she said to imagine things such as that being said day after day after day.  Not only were hurtful comments a part of this young woman's childhood, but they came from those who were closest to her...her mother and other family members. 

As I think about that, my heart breaks for her!  I know that God is the Healer of all broken hearts.  He can use His magic eraser and erase those painful things from her memory.  Please join me in praying for JP.  She needs to feel and accept the love of those of us around her who are pouring into her.  She needs to see her value and worth in Christ.  Things like this make ministry heart wrenching.  Life is messy.  We must get out and minister to those who so desperately need to be loved and affirmed.  Pray for all of us as we try to help her!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment